traipse around Europe in 2008. We are crazy excited to go back.
Onto what we have used to prepare for the trip.
Airfare from Berlin - Paris is gloriously & regularly cheap at around 100 euro per person (can be as low as 80). We spend a lot of time on discount airlines (will fly for free!) and are straight up ecstatic to be flying a "real" airline, AirFrance. Do they feed you on an 1.5 hour flight?
We use: Hipmunk, Skyscanner & Kayak to find cheap places to fly to, track prices, and book flights (usually buy through Kayak).
I am scared to say our hostel days might be behind us. It's not just that we are getting older (we are), as a couple, a hostel is often a dumb idea. Don't get us wrong, we travel on the cheap and have stayed in many a hostel. We even stayed in 2 A&O in Berlin before we had a place to live (it sucked - don't do it). But when you are a twosome, hostels mean
- Seperate beds
- Dorm rooms with loud roommates that may only be there to party (you may be too)
- Prices similar to that of a cheap double room, B&B, or pension (really - add it up)
We like having our own space and a kitchen, even if we just eat breakfast there. Thus- we are transitioning to renting private apartments. We've rented apartments here in Berlin through Craigslist, but is generally safer to rent through one of the many companies that link reviewed and verified members. I wrote an article for EasyExpat listing options in "The Hotel Alternative".
We use: We've had great luck finding great deals & good places through AirBnB. We used this service in London & Budapest. Hopefully we will have good things to say about our experience in Paris (Daumen drücken)
The two things we do when touring are WALK & EAT. A lot. So having some references for where to eat is vital. (Don't worry folks who know us, I am sure Ian will stay take me on a miserable death march).
- David Lebovitz - This expat in Paris is a total foodie inspiration. I love seeing his creations and his advice on Paris dining & sightseeing is invaluable.
- French for Foodies - Superb site with a great list of best Paris lunches
- Euro Cheapo Paris Prices - Guide to max prices you should be paying for things in Paris
- Eat in Paris - Wine me, Dine me!
- Chocolate and Zucchini - A Parisian shares her recipes & experience
What don't we want to see in Paris?
- The Girl Who Stole The Eiffel Tower - Another expat, I wish I was as fabulous as her. I'll pretend as I walk along the Seine.
- http://www.paris.fr/english - Official recommendations, it told me about ice skating beneath the Eiffle Tower. Sold!
- Secrets of Paris - Excellent guide, hopefully taking us to the good stuff
- Frommers Paris & Frommers Disneyland Paris - Frommers is the sheez. And yes, we are going to EuroDisney (don't laugh)
- Lonely Planet Paris - Again, the pros got it going on
- Paris Webcam - Beautiful overview of the city
- The Paris Blog - First hand guide to the city
- Paris Museum Pass - Yes yes yes! Last time we were too cheap to climb Notre Dame, go in the War Museum, or do much more than nibble on croissants. Not this time...
- Pinterest - Love Pinterest to gather all of my ideas and so (of course) I made a board for Paris
We'll see how well these resources serve us & report back. Have tips for us? Please share! We leave in 4 days....